The manager largely determines the nature, recruitment and criteria for the actions of subordinates. He or she does not decide everything alone, but he or she and the manager influence the subordinates. Often managers are dissatisfied with how subordinates make decisions and how they act.
How to manage remote selection? It is the remote one, because the manager cannot constantly “stand over the employee” – in this case, he will certainly prevent the wrong steps. How to manage the actions of employees who work independently and teach them to set priorities?
Basics framework: coordinate system
“How does an employee make a choice? Based on some criteria. A person always acts in an extremely rational way. The “irrational” are extinct without leaving their offspring. A person is always rational, but the whole question is what he takes into account, taking into account certain decisions.
Yes, he can act under the influence of emotions. But this means that emotions are part of his decision making system. When making a decision, he unconsciously takes into account emotions. But what set of criteria does he follow and how does he act: subconsciously or unconsciously?
If the manager thinks that the employee is acting incorrectly, it should be understood that the subordinate simply has a different system of coordinates. The manager thinks in one coordinate system, and the subordinate thinks in another. Therefore, his actions seem to be wrong to the manager. How to learn how to manage the choice of subordinates who are not close to the head?
One way is to create a single coordinate system. When will it be useful and effective for management? What are the requirements for it?
- It must be absolutely transparent, each element must be visible and understandable, there must be no hidden elements.
- Each element must be clearly described. But “clarity” does not always mean “conciseness”. Trying to describe the situation briefly, its meaning may be lost. Therefore, it is better to strive for clarity than for brevity. Saving space and letters means that the phrase is short, cast, but has many interpretations. Don’t try to get into the “Latin cast prose” right away. First, you need to describe everything clearly and concisely.
- Logicality of origin: what is the purpose of this or that element. And it is good if the logic is based on the interests of the case, not on the “lunge” of the head. We are at work in the interests of the case, aren’t we? “Like” or “dislike” are secondary processes.
- Consistency of elements. There is nothing scarier than a system in which the elements contradict each other. For example, some beautiful slogans contradict the company’s rules.
- Sufficiency. The design of our operating system solves all the problems that arise in the process of work.
- Relevance. Our elements should meet today’s challenges, they should be timely updated, verified, they should be relevant, not outdated and not answer questions of yesterday.
- Inclusiveness. The system operates throughout the company: the staff is aware of and guided by the company’s locations. Then the first person of the company will be calm for making decisions by their subordinates, and all subdivisions of the company will work synchronously and correctly.
In the process of setting priorities, it is necessary to use a multivariate coordinate system. If it will be applied systematically, it will become a habit both at the head, and at subordinates, and its use will not cause any difficulties. The question arises: how to set priorities correctly?
The division of affairs into supporting and developing will help.
Supporters are such cases, without making which the situation goes down. These are today’s clients and the tasks that act as a “backbone” – supporting the body.
Developmental – what contributes to development (methodology, qualifications, etc.), these are some changes in something.
Supporting (in comparison with developing ones) are priority tasks, because “bread is more important than butter”. Developers are more prone to elasticity: they can be made today or tomorrow.
Decomposition is a method of dividing the whole into parts, allowing to replace the solution of one big task with the solution of a series of smaller tasks, though interrelated, but simpler ones.
An accurate and objective view of resources after analyzing the attractiveness of the result in the process of decomposition can lead to a change of priorities. It may be necessary to adjust not only the objectives and parameters, but also the criteria influencing their achievement. We will have to go back to the planning tasks and review the basic factors (timing, cost and actions that lead to quality).
They are closely interlinked and not always maintained under certain circumstances. Therefore, during the planning process we can change our priority positions both at the start and after the decomposition, because the degree of their importance under the influence of the process can change dramatically.
How to set the priorities in the work properly? You have to think, think regularly and allocate enough time for that. Slowly set the priorities of the criteria, correctly set the priorities of the goals themselves. Such an approach will help to identify the factors that influence a particular situation and select several options for solving it.
Attempting to prioritize complex issues on the move can lead to incorrect conclusions that will have a negative impact on the overall work. Similarly, uncontrolled development of the activity is dangerous when the expediency of changing the priorities and the cost of the final results are not thought about at all.